Assessing Pupils' Progress was a National Strategies resource providing a structured approach to pupil assessment in Key Stage 3 to support teachers with:
- making judgements about their pupils attainment, keyed into national standards
- developing and refining their understanding of progression in science
- gathering diagnostic information about the strengths and areas of development of individual pupils and groups of pupils
- tracking pupils progress over time to inform the planning of teaching
- planning teaching that is matched to pupils needs
- supporting the transfer of meaningful information at key transitional points
- facilitating the setting of meaningful curricular targets that can be shared with pupils and parents.
While APP is no longer used as a full system, several of the resources remain useful to teachers, especially the Focused Assessment Materials, which provide examples of good questioning to assess understanding.