The research indicates that improving learning through assessment depends on five, deceptively simple, key factors:
· the provision of effective feedback to pupils;
· the active involvement of pupils in their own learning;
· adjusting teaching to take account of the results of assessment;
· a recognition of the profound influence assessment has on the motivation and self-esteem of pupils,
· the need for pupils to be able to assess themselves and understand how to improve.
(Beyond the Black Box. Assessment Reform Group 1999)