Open evening ideas
1. French cafe (or a cafe with croissants, Apfelstrudel, churros, biscotti...)
* Pupils taking order in the TL.
* Give parents some cue cards in the TL for them to order.
2. Songs - with cue cards or pupils can do a dance to it (e.g. directions, parts of the body)
3. A play - set the room as a theatre
4. Games on the IWB
5. Quiz for the parents
6. Aerobics in the target language (when I did this activity, I had bought some costumes for the pupils: yellow socks, red shorts and black t-shirts)
7. Salsa taster lessons (you can download a salsa taster video from youtube)
8. Language taster lessons - organised by pupils
9. Chinese paper cutting (+fortune cookies)
10. Yodelling competition (record the participant using audacity - then play back for a laugh)
11. Paella making and degustation - can be done with the technology department.
12. Tai chi demonstration - (you can download a video from youtube)
13. Buffet with different cheeses: where do the cheese come from?
14. Stick the flag on the correct country (as a quiz or see no 20).
15. Exhibition and photo slideshow of all extra curricular activities in the department.
16. Use a large piece of cardboard and draw a person (ask pupils to do it for you). Draw arrows to the parts of the body. Laminate the vocabulary (parts of the body) and ask parents and children to label the body. Ask a pupil or 2 to be in charge of the activity.
17. You can do activity 16 with different topics: food, transport, flags, family (draw a family tree)...
18. Mandarin: buy chop sticks and M&M (anything round and difficult to pick up) and ask pupils to have a go. (works very well)
19. If you have MFL leaders, ask them to show a sample lesson they did at the primary school and also ask them to talk about their experience as an MFL leader.
20. You can use your wall as a working space: put the flags of several French speaking countries and ask parents to label them. Make sure the pupils in charge have the answers.
21. Place the tail onto the donkey: blindfold a parent or a pupil and direct them to where the bottom of the donkey is by using simple commands : to the right, to the left, up and down in the target language.